Long before I started sewing or even think about learning how to, I had bought enough fabric for a long skirt. I think I had bought 1.5m of black linen. After that, I visited every seamstress in my neighbourhood to ask if she would make me said skirt. None of them would do it. They were only making alterations.
So I went ahead and stashed my fabric for a very very long time. After I learned how to sew I had some ideas about what to use it for but the fabric was never enough for the project I had in my mind.
When I got pregnant almost 5 years ago, I got a lot more serious about my sewing. I began by sewing fitted sheets and swaddle blankets. I even made myself a diaper bag. And then promptly made another one for my SIL. Soon I found myself sewing my post-partum wardrobe in my pre-pregnancy size! I never to this day reached my pre-pregnancy weight. But, hey! It was my first pregnancy, don’t judge!
These pair of pants are self-drafted using the pant block as a base. To make them wide leg I made the following alterations:
- I lowered the waistline by at least 15cm.
- I drew a straight line from the hip line to the ankle line. Then I added 5 cm to the ankle line and redrew a straight line from there to the waistline.
- I added inseam pockets. They are the easiest pocket to sew and I just free handed their pattern to fit my hand.
It sounds kind of tricky but I when you do it, it is quite straightforward and self-explanatory. For the waistband, I opted for a yoga-like elastic one. I used a rayon-lycra blend fabric and double folded it.
My fabric was not strong enough to hold my pants in place, so I decided to use clear elastic to reinforce it. I sewed the clear elastic using the three-step zig-zag stitch. If your machine has this stitch then definitely use it. I find that it is the best stitch for elastics. I never had any kind of problems when using this. I highly recommend!
Inseam pockets are very easy to add to any garment. I used lining fabric on one side to reduce bulk. Unfortunately, I made a mistake when sewing them and put the lining on the side that touches my skin. Oh, well!!! I am still using them all the time.
When I was ready to cut into my fabric I saw that there was a big rip. I played Tetris with my pieces trying to find a way to fit all my pattern pieces but to no avail. So, I decided to cut in a way that put the tear on the bottom back of one pant. So the addition of the ribbon was not entirely a style decision.
Lastly, I hemmed the pants using wide cotton bias binding. This ensured that the pants were long enough to fit me and provided some weight to keep them from rising while walking. If you’re looking to lengthen your pants, this tutorial is for you.
I have worn this pants so much they started to fall into pieces. Time to sew a new pair!